Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Packing Commences...

I realized today that my replacement will be here and I will no longer be a “resident” in Japan (officially changing to tourist status!) in less than a month. Wow. It’s still a little surreal to me that I’m leaving Japan because life is so comfortable here, but at the same time, I definitely think I am in a good place and am ready to go. I got an email from a good girlfriend that left Japan last year, asking how it was going with all the last minute trips, planning and lists. Honestly, this sort of just made me think, “Lists? What lists? Should I be making lists? I actually don’t think I need lists.” And I don’t. I know it’s weird that with a month left I’m not freaking out and trying to do as much as possible, but I am actually pretty satisfied and content with my experience in Japan. I feel like this last year has given me the closure I need. I might be back one day, yes (and by that, I mean to live for another stint; visiting is a given), but for now, I’m ready for the next adventure.

Luckily for me, I’ve had my brother, a friend from college and now a friend from high school all visit this month. They’ve all been amazing with their willingness to lug my belongings across oceans in my name... and I think I’m actually going to make it home without having to ship anything! I went into a little packing phase last night and also started to put away pictures and things, thinking I’d get a head start… but my apartment feels so different without everything up now. Should have stopped at the “Vinternatt I Rondane” print. Think I’ll wait a little while before I do too much more. I’m not gone yet!

So other than the rainy season (and humidity!!) hitting full force, things are going alright :) Yesterday was one of my last days of actual classes at the visit school. My coworker is gone for the week, so I was alone with the English club after school and had some fun setting them all up on Facebook (bad influence? Or good English communication resource?) and teaching them to chat with each other in English a bit. I was going to go shopping with Deyi after school, but had to run home to meet a plumber after my friend Caoimhe's ceiling (which happens to be under my kitchen) started flooding... again. About 2 months ago, there was water dripping down and the wood was really warped. It was worse this time, but the biggest concern (other than that we're both moving next month and don't want to get slammed with the bills for the damage) is that the leak is right next to the circuit breaker. A little worrisome, ne?! The guy checked all my pipes, toilet, shower... and found nothing. The leaking also happened while I was gone, so not sure if it's coming from my apartment and is just internal or what, but hopefully they figure it out.


Had a really lovely evening with the unexpected free time last night catching up on some reading a nice long bath. It's going to be funny going back to a culture that doesn't appreciate the ofuro (bath) as much as they do here... but gonna try to get as many evenings like that in as I can while I'm here :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home