Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Visual Stimulation, Japan

As I am preparing to leave this life in Japan next month, I have realized I'm starting to wear more nastalgic-lensed glasses when walking around than I may in everyday life. Having the Americans stay with me this weekend was also a big eye-opener to just how different life at home can be.

I had my camera with me while I was running an errand for work today so thought I would share some of those moments, observations, and beloved (or strange/funny) occurances that I now consider normal - and was able to capture.

Enjoy:

Supermarket. There is more tea than any other drink in the cold bev.
(including pop juice, etc) section of the grocery store.

The price of fruit. $7.80 for a small bunch of grapes.


$3 for an apple... but they come wrapped and were grown this way


Many products are the same... but different.
(wish I had found the babyfood a few weeks ago!)

Presents and free gifts. For buying things like beer.
Unique and funky clothing is cheap. Basics are not.

Safety and trust. This alcohol vender left a full truck just sitting
outside for at least 20 minutes. He was nowhere around.

Internationalization. Not quite there, but they try.
"German" Barber Shop in Takasago.

Art appreciation.
I mean, calligraphy is a REQUIRED SUBJECT in public schools.

You are not a hippy just because your main
mode of transportation has 2 wheels.
America could stand to walk/bike more.

People cleaning up the neighborhood... just because.


Japanese malls / Shopping arcades.


Powerlines


Sometimes all the housewives seems like 1950s culture.
But the moms do seem to spend a lot of time with their kids.

No dryers (even during winter) and keeping your
washing machine outside. I thought this was really
weird when I moved here.
Then I realized it's a new/different "normal".

At home, I think graveyards are creepy. Here I think they are kind of beautiful.


Local temples and shrines. I guess it's like a neighborhood church,
but it has more character to me.


OBACHAN WAS HERE.


There she is! Old ladies gardening & taking care of
plants wherever there is space...


...even if it's not theirs.


Barbed wire. In really random places.


I will never not hang my onions again and think it's awesome that
everyone does it. They last for so, so much longer.

Tanuki: part raccoon, part dog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home