Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Wednesday at Takanan

Ahhh, after sitting here for about an hour with the computer teacher, we just turned off the touch-pad on my PC! I thought it was strange that I wasn't able to do it on my own, but the laptop computer I use at work is sort of old and it just took us forever to figure out how to hit the off switch.
Ridiculous that something so simple could take so long, but I couldn't be happier that that mouse pad is off. The touchpad has seriously been driving me crazy as my sleeves often brush the built-in mouse as I'm typing, moving the pointer around and causing the computer to do weird stuff like putting half a word at the start of a different line.
I'm a fast typer and do make mistakes sometimes, but lately I've had to check papers to make sure they don't look absolutely dyslexic and incomprehensible. Yay.

Talk-Free Train Cars
So things are going well and I finally made it to Japanese class last night after missing both classes last week. I didn't really feel behind once I got there, but I was surprised to discover something new on the way home. I was sitting on the train when the conductor approached me, pointed at my phone and told me to turn the cell phone off and put it away. I was sort of confused at first, especially since I was just texting - not talking - (this is Japan... everyone uses their phone on the train...) and because it's very uncharacteristic for people to enforce rules (like not using your phone). But the conductor showed me a sign, and sure enough, it seems there are actually cell phone free cars on the end of some trains.

Women Only cars I have seen and understand, but I am guessing these cars were more recently introduced for people who want to peacefully sit and read/relax without the distraction of the people around you clicking away at their phones (or watching who-knows-what on the screen). The car was also generally empty compared to the packed cars next to it, meaning people seem to respect the rule (or are scared of the strict conductor?). I decided to switch my phone off, put it away and pulled out my book. It was actually rather peaceful.

Setsubun
Yesterday was also Setsubun, an event marking the start of spring (TODAY!) according to the lunar calendar. On this day (which many consider a holiday), shrines and temples hold rites to exorcise demons, while every family takes dried beans (called mamemaki) and throws them at someone dressed as a demon, yelling, "Out with the demon, in with good fortune!" This is supposed to drive away the ogre and bad luck. I don't think people always have an ogre to throw beans at (sometimes they just open the door and throw them outside...), but it is customary to throw the same number of beans as your age and then to eat one more bean than the number of years that you are.

People also celebrate Setsubun by eating futomaki (basically a giant sushi roll) while facing a direction that has been decided as auspicious for that particular year. This year, the direction is east-north-east (sort of looks like the number 4 if you draw it out).

I did actually eat the sushi for dinner, but I was sitting on the train so I'm not sure what direction I was facing. I also tried the bean-throwing bit, but we made a few changes including throwing almonds (did yell the traditional phrase in Japanese...), threw them over our shoulders (oops - got that one confused with salt...) and didn't throw the exact number of our age (yes, 21...). Haha, oh well. At least we tried to recognize the holiday!

Today
Today was the beginning of my last OC lessons with the first years (freshman), meaning it's the last time I'll have class with many of them ever again. I know we'll just do this cycle all over again in a month and a half when the new school year starts, but I'm going to miss seeing some of these kids, not to mention the fact that I can't believe the year is OVER (talk about a year flying by!).

I'm considering trying to get out of work early today, too, as I have a lot to do to prepare for our Valentine's Day and Farewell Party for the English Club 3rd Years tomorrow. As you know, I've been working on some craft projects, but I also need to make cards, wrap presents and pick up all the stuff for doing chocolate fondue. It's gonna be a busy night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home