Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Photo of the Day: Street Patrol

Let's face it, Japan has some quirks. Some things can be amazing. Others, I still struggle to understand.

To give an example of the positive side (the "amazing" one), after living here and being immersed in the culture for over two years, I am often still impressed and surprised by the service in this country. People will go to great lengths to avoid being rude, especially if they are on the job and without motivation like tipping.


Convenience is another thing. I love not having to own a car. I love the efficiency of my tiny little flat (yes, even my weird hot water furnace and teacup bathtub). And I love the fact that I can get a can of tea or coffee in the morning, either hot or cold, no matter where I am (vending machines).

One thing that I must ponder, however, is the level to which things are taken at times.

Since the onset of the current global financial crisis, I have heard the phrase "was made redundant" a few too many times and from people working in places all around the world). But if you do not believe what the exchange rates are saying about a strong yen, this may be proof that the full negative force of the foreign economies has yet to hit Japan.

You know you are doing OK when your job coincides with a traffic light and you are not worried.

I give you... the patrol people:


I'm not trying to be rude here and I definitely understand the need for traffic-control police at times, but seriously... what is the point of having two patrol men when there is nobody around... and there's a traffic light and walkway?
You have to give these guys credit for taking pride in their work, but at the same time, they are merely following the lights themselves and making sure people stay in the crosswalk.
I guess it's just funny to me because I see it a lot (sometimes two or three people manning an empty driveway) and it doesn't seem necessary. It might be just another formality, but this is one of those things that I don't always get...

1 Comments:

  • At 4:18 PM, Blogger Two said…

    Well apart from extra service it keeps people employed, usually the oldies, which means a low unemployment rate (and more importantly less people of the wrinkly variety who don't work to annoy me).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home