Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, January 09, 2009

Got my Gaijin Card Back

Well, it's been a few weeks and still no word on the wallet. I was still holding on to some hope, but wasn't surprised when I heard nothing had come back and I am now accepting the fact the it probably won't, either.

I went down to the Akashi City Hall yesterday after work and picked up my new Alien Registration card (aka my "gaijin card"). The picture on this one is a litte more forgiving than the last, which I suppose is good, and I have now at least sorted out most of what went missing.

I am still on the fence about whether or not to get a new license. I was going to get my Japanese license (which involves taking the full written and practice tests) and have already paid for an official translation of my American license to do so. I am pretty sure, however, that they will still require the actual card before they'll hand over my Japanese menkyo or let me sit the test. I've spoken with the DMV in Minnesota, and getting a form for a new one isn't difficult, but the key issue is that I need to get my signiture notarized before I fax the form back. This involves going to the consulate in Osaka on a weekday. I'm just not sure it's worth all the time, money and hassle for one or two little roadtrips in Japan. I did get to practice driving on the left (on a manual, of all things) for a very short amount of time in New Zealand, but I think to think for a bit before I make a decision.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home