Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Leaving for AU today!!

Today is the day! I leave for Australia tonight and cannot wait! It's been a little while (ok, like a year) since I've explored totally new territory (new continent - yes!!) and I am really looking forward to it. I'm at school right now, but I don't have any classes, which also doesn't help. I still need to get over to the post office and send some packages, but I'm otherwise as ansy as can be. I just can't wait to GO :)

Before I fall out of my chair, however, I'll tell you guys a little about our neighborhood Christmas party last night. As you might already know, in Japan, Christmas is a romantic holiday (obviously not religious, so celebrated by all). People make Christmas cake (not cookies) and eat chicken (you need to order KFC weeks in advance or it might be sold out!). This year, however, we took a different Japanese twist and decided to have a small yanki-themed party. Remember the "punk"/yanki turkies?

Anyways, I couldn't stay at the party the whole night because I had to pack, but I definitely put on my yanki best, including diamond-studded fake nails, a pregnant stomach (it was a scarf), boots, pants and a short skirt, bright colored shirt, WAY too much make-up (went especially heavy on the eyeliner), a side pony tail and scrunchy, clip on my bangs, LV purse and, of course, my fur scarf. The funniest thing was when I went to the grocery store before the party and didn't get that many strange looks in my get-up. It's a popular look around here.

The party was held at my friend Tu's house, and even though most of us leave today, tomorrow or Saturday, there were about 10 of us in attendance. We all brought dinner and something to share, then just sang a little karaoke on the Play Station 3 and just hung out. Great time. I am actually really going to miss these guys over break.

In other news (that I forgot to mention yesterday), I was asked to assist with an upcoming conference that the Hyogo Board of Education is hosting (called the Mid-Year Conference), which is pretty exciting, and I also got some really cool packages from my mom and best friend at home (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the mittens, KC!). Some of my teachers have also been giving me Christmas and farewell gifts (yes, for vacation), including Fair Trade orange chocolate (it's already gone it was so good) and an absolutely beautiful Japanese tea-tray, made out of Yakusugi (the ancient cedars that I went to see on Yakushima Island last spring). I was absolutely floored by that one.

Anyways, I will check in from Australia but I should get offline and to the post office, but I hope all of you have a wonderful rest of the week and a beautiful weekend. Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home