Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Best Memories from 2008

I have been asked (several times...) what my favorite parts of 2008 were. This was quite the year, but while I didn't have time to sit down and write a Christmas/New Year's Letter before the holidays or finish this list before then (sorry, Mom), putting a list together is sort of a good chance to reminisce over the last year.

As is typically the case, I wrote way too much, but at least I kept the number to 10. So, without further adieu, thought it might be interesting to share:

My New Year's Top 10 (from 2008)

This year brought with it a lot of travel and experiences I am very grateful for, but, in many ways, I also had a really low-key year. My favorite things from 2008... just off the top of my head:

- INDIA and NEPAL. What a way to start the year. Deprived but happy, determined people (literally a land of contradictions) everywhere. Vibrant environment; stimulating all the senses. Adventure and excitement. Love firsts. Highlights include seeing the Himalayas for the first time, chartered flight around Everest, elephant safari through the Chitwan National Park, visiting the Taj Mahal in our saris, a camel safari (only a day) in Rajasthan, a hectic New Year's Eve that led to unexpected friendships, beautiful Jaiphur, the FOOD & the Ganges.

- THE 2nd SASAYAMA MARATHON. I was crushed when we didn't finish, but it taught me a big lesson about being more realistic and responsible (especially maybe looking out for myself in life). The training in itself (5 hour runs for a string of Fridays last winter) was a lot of fun and I felt in shape. I am also so grateful for all of the people that contributed to my fundraising efforts. It was surprising to see all of these people come forward and support me (and/or the cause) in something like this and it was more meaningful to know that that support was going towards real change for people that really need it.

- PEPY Trip to THAILAND, CAMBODIA & LAOS. I always wish I had more time. It was really fun to be at the Pepy School and help out, but I also really enjoyed visiting the NPOs and learning about Cambodia's past. I felt humbled and saddened learning about and visiting some of the more tragic aspects of Cambodia's recent history. PEPY was an amazing program and I believe in it's mission and goals, but this trip made me realize that I'm in a better place just exploring on my own and maybe volunteering (working for) these organizations rather than being part of a short-term organized tour. I'd do the trip again, recommend PEPY to anyone and had a lot of fun, but I would prefer to go under the condition that I was on one of the bike tourism trips. While this wasn't my first time in a developing nation, it was my first real introduction to the world of bike tourism and the trip also inspired me to have a bigger focus on responsible tourism (combining or utilizing travel for helping less fortunate parties) going forward. Spending my last full day in Cambodia alone in Siem Riep (Angkor Wat), with the companionship of the Khmer people I met and time to just wander around the wonders of the legacies left by Angkor Kingdoms, was also probably one of the highlights of all my travels. It definitely rivaled or could be best compared to Petra, Jordan.

- WORK. I know that seems silly, but this last year in Japan has really brought me closer to my coworkers and students, especially my 3rd International Studies (IS) class. I basically started at the same time as these students and helped a coworker establish an IS program at our school (which I got to name and help design). I used to see this class of 40 kids about 4 or 5 times a week and have done everything from your general Oral Communication classes and reading to an exchange project, notebooks and test prep with them, often individually. They often include me in their class (because I don't have my own "homeroom") for school events and it's been amazing watching them grow (academically and as people). We've also gotten closer as my Japanese skills have improved and we can both contribute to joint communication. I am *really* going to miss these students when they graduate in March.
After over two years, just doing the same types of activities and lesson plans can start do feel a little dull and repetitive, but I feel very fortunate with the opportunities that my situations has afforded me to travel, explore and and learn over the last few years. In my normal, routine, Japanese day-to-day life, I've had fun with the flexibility I'm given to be creative in my job (possibly more than others and key in battling that boredom) and will especially remember the events, festivals and (ESS) parties held over the last year. Making a full-scale totem pole and tepee for our school cultural festival is one example. I mean, c'mon, who just decides to make a totem pole and gets funding to do it? Getting to attend and help with other schools' English Camps, the National Orientation in Tokyo, our Prefectural Orientation in Hyogo and visit other schools were also new and welcomed opportunities this year.

- GOLDEN WEEK AND YAKUSHIMA. Being a little sneaky, I got ahold of a train pass that allowed me affordable, unlimited use of the Shinkansen bullet train system for a full week. On this pass, I traveled the entire length of the southern island of Kyushu. I saw the famous Kumamoto Castle, the coastal city of Kagoshima (including Sakurajima volcano), went hiking among the giant cedars on Yakushima Island (one of my favorites from Japan!), stopped by (but didn't really see) the active Aso volcano and soaked in 7 different types of hot springs (and finally dared to try blowfish) in Beppu. Fabulous little sojourn... and, better yet, I didn't even have to use vacation time for it.

- THE LAST FEW WEEKS before the friends that I came with left. This summer was so busy, it is almost a blur. But I know we had fun. This summer was the end of my time with my midwestern trio (Shannon and Brianne) and saw the last of the bi-weekly dinners (or "meat nights") with my group of girlfriends. Heather had her bachelorette party and I would sometimes meet Lena at random places, like at a Sanyo Railway station between our houses, to just sit on the curb and talk (sometimes over a beer from the vending machine). My trini friend Kelly and I resumed a long tradition of going to this hidden little park in Harimacho to just catch up (while we sat on the swings). There was one weeknight where a few girls came over for dinner and we ended up just hanging out and talking on my balcony until maybe 2 or 3 in the morning, laughing and doing silly stuff like trying to get the hookah a friend left me to work. I think that period marked the end of an era for me in Japan. It was the end of being on a program and the beginning of me just living here, in a way.

- RIB and TACO NIGHTS at SHAG's PLACE. I had a friend, Sagur ("Shag" for short) from Chicago, that worked for a big marketing/PR firm in Osaka that would host these AMAZING dinners at his posh flat in Kobe. The ribs were some of the best I've had and it's nice to get real tacos here. Shag is also hilarious and a great host. There was one dinner last spring that ended with four of us girls deciding to get a drink, hotdogs and then go on a hectic shopping adventure in Donkeyhote that I will never forget. I still laugh out loud thinking about my friend Robyn getting to the counter, finishing her hotdog, licking her fingers and then throwing down the money for her purchase. Maybe you had to be there, but the old man behind the counter looked horrified (note: Robyn is normally a very classy lady, which makes it all the better!).

- BIKING AROUND AWAJI ISLAND. It was raining all the way home and I did it solo, but just this short little trip (maybe 150k over 2 days) around the mountainous island near my house was so refreshing. I like traveling with others, but the solitude was nice, and the trip was a welcomed reminder of how romantic the Japanese landscape can be. The coastal tour could realistically have been the inspiration for a Miyazaki animation. This trip again fueled my interest in bike tourism, as well, while giving me the confidence that I - not being a very avid biker - could actually make it through a longer trip. Maybe I'll realize some sort of trip in 2009. You never know...

- MY BEST FRIEND's WEDDING. I was home for less than a week (three days for fun, three for the wedding and about 23 hours of travel time on both ends!), but I really appreciated getting to see some of my friends and was so flattered to be the Maid of Honor in my best friend, Kristin's, wedding. We've been friends for 20 years, but I guess we really are growing up!

- AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND. Three weeks at the end of '08! Let me just blog about this. There's too much to tell, but what a wondrous adventure on this first trip to the southern hemisphere. I basically just got a little taste of Australia (a little cruel, really - it's a long way to travel and now I must go back) and NZ was definitely my favorite of the two. Strangely enough, it reminded me a lot of... Minnesota. This is especially weird considering the British influence in Christchurch and in general. It was summer when I arrived and spending the holidays with Dave and especially at a house and with a family again was so, so nice. The natural beauty of the place is stunning and possibly unparalleled. Highlights included the beaches around Sydney, a tour of the famed Sydney Opera House, skydiving, kayaking at Abel Tasman National Park (we saw wild penguins and seal pups), hiking the Fox Glacier (which is surrounded by rainforest), NYE and several days at a friend's country house in Hawarden and our whirlwind roadtrip around the northern South Island during the final week. I had an excellent time.

Wow.... and that's already 10! I'm keeping this pretty broad and basic, but there's so many other things I could add. Namely other small trips around Japan, dinners, wacky experiences, time with certain people I care a lot about (which comes before work... but maybe that goes into the "moments" category?) and a million other stories that I could add. Summer BBQs, snowboarding, random parties, trips to the International Villas in Okayama & hikes in the Rokko Mountain chain (ending with a soak in the Arima hotsprings) are just a few of the many. The list goes on.

Funny how such a simple/easy list can be so long or so hard to sort out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home