Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Last Few Weeks & Turning Another Year Older...

I'm sitting at my desk at school right now, in between my four classes, nibbling on the soy sauce flavored Kit Kat that one of my coworkers gave me. We also have a professor visiting today, so I will have to help welcome and host him, but I always have fun with the talks on Human Rights (and today's will be in English!) so I'm sort of looking forward to it.

Back in the Saddle Again
On the whole, though, it feels somewhat funny being back in the saddle, the old daily routine. It feels like ages since I've had a normal class schedule, but I'm easing back into the routine easily enough. One thing that did come as a surprise (although it shouldn't have) was the cold. Classrooms are not heated, even with 40 degree weather outside, and I once again encountered that vaguely familair sensation of not being able to readily move my fingers to count-out worksheets yesterday because I was just too cold. Maybe not having heat "builds the students' character" (hmphf), but I think I personally have become tough enough and these kids could probably concentrate better if they had heat, too.

There are many things I will miss about Japan (including the strong yen), but this no heat crap is not one of them. The larger, kerosine heaters that keep the staff room (and about 60 people that have desks in it) will work for now, but there is a certain beauty in central heating that you really miss once it is gone!

Leaving Japan
So that (missing Japan) brings up another topic. This will not be a surprise to most, but I have also officially declined to recontract for another year in my current position... meaning I will officially be leaving Japan in six months! Well, technically my coworker took the form out of my desk and turned it in early for me while I was gone (because someone asked her for it and she was worried about getting everyone's personal seal on it in time...). But it's official. And I feel comfortable with the decision.

There have been many changes this last year in Japan, some initially sad - such as changes to my social dynamic and community - and others positive, but at some point you have to move on. I think the change will be good and I am looking forward to it. I wrote in one of my last posts about options for the next stage, but we will see where I end up. Wherever I go, though, I think "change" will be the keyword and that this is a bit of a cross-roads. It just comes down to choosing the option that you would regret if you didn't do... so trying to decide what that is.

The Conference and Last Few Weekends
As for what I've been up to while I've not been blogging (been really busy!)... well, I'll try to catch you up a bit.

To be honest, I realized yesterday that I have spent a total of four (yes 4) nights at my house in the last full month. I've been traveling and then had a conference, yes, but - realizing how little I have been home - I think I really just need some personal time. If nothing else, it'd be good to relax or work on what I'm going to do next year.

At work, I am generally pretty busy during the day (or about to be again with classes beginning), which I like because it's my job for now... and I can take pride in that. But outside of work - you just need to take some QT for yourself sometimes and maybe I haven't been doing that enough.

Two Weekends Ago
Let's just start with the last time I wrote, right before Japanese classes started again. So classes started and I have the same teachers and there are a lot of familiar faces in the course, which is good. That first weekend was pretty normal. Hung out with Dave and Chris on Friday night after class, then had a pizza party on Saturday (half price Pizza Hut... I will really miss the bulgogi-flavored pizza...) at Bob and Katie's house on Saturday night. On Sunday, I stuck around Amagasaki and we just sort of went for a walk to the hardware store and such and then I went for a longer run (well, about an hour and a half) before a nabe party at Dave's house, where we made big pots of stew (the "nabe") on the table and everyone eats it). Monday was a holiday, so it wasn't a bad time to have such a dinner, but it was sort of a slow start the next morning. I got up, regardless, however, and met Bob for a run down the Mukogawa River. Afterwards, we spent the day with a big group at first the public bath (Super Sento in Nishinomiya - the steam room where you rub salt on yourself is awesome!), then at an all-you-can-eat crab restaurant in the Hankyu New Hotel (with other food... but wow!), then at Elephant Cafe (for coffee and a chat with a friend visiting from Gifu) and then drinks. We were in Osaka for most of it, but didn't leave until 8:30 or 9:00...

The next week is also just sort of a blur. So Monday night was spent in Osaka. I had my final class with my 3の1 students (my International Studies 3rd years and the students I am the closest with) during the day on Monday, giving a speech and almost crying. I wrote them letters and read an Irish Blessing that my best friend gave me when I left high school (now a tradition...). I didn't cry and thought I at least outwardly seemed like I was keeping it together, but the history teacher that was sitting in on my class told another teacher in confidence (who, of course, told me anyways) that he was really moved by the experience and was holding back tears himself. I'm going to miss those students!

On Monday afternoon, I had a meeting at the Board of Education office in Kobe and then an enkai (work/congratulatory party) afterwards. Well, these dinner parties are usually all-you-can-eat - AND DRINK - but somehow I ended up only eating about 5 pieces of shashimi and the alcohal hit me a lot harder than I expected it to. I felt really sick all day the next day and pretty much spent the evening in.

Mid-Year Conference in Motomachi

On Thursday and Friday, I helped at a conference in Kobe, moderatin/leading four workshops and then just doing general things like registration. Everything went alright, though, and I sort of feel like I had the easy job compared to the rest of the teacher participants. The evenings were a bit crazy, as they tend to be, with a group dinner at Sky Buffet on Thursday and then drinks with friends and some dancing at 2nd Chance (a foreigner bar in Sannomiya) on the Friday night.

Birthday in Osaka

Saturday was my birthday, so I spent the afternoon at Kaiyukan, the aquarium in Osaka, with Chris, Emi & Dave. I really love that place and was happy to go again (will post some pics later - my cam died early, but I have a few!), but there was some miscommunication and I unfortunately had to change my dinner plans to drinks and then change the date all-together. ざんえん but also しょがない.

That being said, things shifted around, and we ended up having a really good ethopian dinner with a small group of friends (actually the fun people I spend most of my time with nowadays) and I got to celebrate the day with my friend Emi, who is exactly one year younger :) We were also originally going to go to this Arabian place that's supposed to be a little crazy for birthdays, BUT... it wasn't in Osaka... and I appreciate having spent a third birthday in a row in the city. I won't be able to do again for a while, if ever again, and one could seriously do worse. I've turned 19 and 21 in Oslo, 23 in Shanghai, and 25, 26 & 27 in Osaka. Who knows where I'll be for 28 and birthdays in Osaka seems like a good enough way to remember my mid-20s by (OMG... because they're pretty much gone!)... so overall fun night.

Anyways... that's about it. Sunday was pretty lowkey. Just did bakery breakfast, a small lunch with a few friends and then I helped Dave shop for clothes before having dinner and heading home. If you made it this far... nice job... but at least it's a peek at life in Japan for ya.

The professor is coming soon and I need to prepare for that (can you tell I'm rushing through the end of this post?), but hopefully all of you have had a less hectic schedule than I have (ok, it's been fun... but busy) and a huge THANK YOU to all of you who sent me birthday wishes, as well. I was absolutely floored and honestly really surprised by some of the cards and little packages that arrived at my house (three people sent magazines, which sort of made me chuckle... and one even got me a subscription for when I get home... cute!). Love you all and am definitely very aware of how lucky I am to have such wonderful, caring & supportive people in my life :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home