Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, October 31, 2008

Friday Halloween

Well, the Halloween party yesterday went well but I was at school until 8pm! I would probably have stayed longer (notebooks...), but the only other person still in the building was leaving and I didn’t want to lock the door.

That being said, the party entailed bobbing for persimmons (apples are pricey), learning a dance, playing a donut game, carving a wicked jack-o-lantern (best I’ve ever seen, to be honest & I have roasted pumpkin seeds today – yum!), going trick-or-treating in the staff room and just hanging out and having fun. It was worth being here late.

Today is Halloween, as you probably know. I arrived at work in full Halloween garb, and while most of the students aren’t proving very knowledgeable about the American political system and election (takes a while to explain who Sarah Palin is when you have to explain who McCain is first), I’ve been getting a lot of comments about the Palin get-up I chose to wear today. The real fun will come at the Halloween parties in Osaka tonight (added a little twist to the costume, but you’ll have to wait for the pictures to see what), and I’m getting used to the Classics teacher (and hilarious kendo coach) behind me turning around and laughing every time he sees me. Carrying around pictures of Palin also seems to work. I’ve heard niteru (sp?), or resembles, too many times today. 面白い.

Oh, and other big news:
*My business trip to Tokyo was approved (and the reports are finished and translated),
*we’re going to actually visit a junior high school to replace the JHS conference day I’m missing (even better for me),
*Megan did alright in the speech contest (5th place, but against the best kids at the best schools in the area),
*I sent in the forms to get my license translated by the Japan Automobile Federation (JAF), thus starting the process to get a Japanese drivers license (!!)
*and last – but not least – I think my brother and I are going to pursue getting Greek passports. We’re eligible for dual citizenship through our grandfather, who was from Kalamata, so citizenship would also grant us privileges in the rest of the EU. Pretty exciting!

I need to finish these notebooks so I can get out of here in time to run home before Japanese class, but I hope you have a Happy Halloween! Pew! Pew!

Just to leave you with a laugh: My coworker just asked me about this Minnesota law, which was featured in one of our textbooks: “A person may not cross state lines with a duck atop his head.” Yeah, I have no idea. Apparently Alaska also has a law saying that “Moose may not be viewed from an airplane.” Interesting when hunting from one seems to be OK...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home