Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Cedars

I loved them in Yakushima, but I daikirai (hate hate hate) them here for the endless suffering they are causing me. No, I am not talking about the tourists, students or even bugs, I am referring – of course – to the cedars.

So it turns out these new allergies I have acquired may be an allergic reaction to the cedar pollen. And here is the kicker... the cedar forests aren't even natural! They planted them after WWII thinking that they'd grow quickly and they'd be able to harvest the wood. Then it turned out it was cheaper to import wood from overseas.

That, my friends, is irony.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home