Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Facing a Facebook Addiction

So the most-recent issue of this local, free magazine called the Kansai Scene (like a hip City Pages & written in English) just had this article about Facebook. The title was, "Are You Addicted to Facebook?". Sounds like the cover of Seventeen Magazine, yes, but my friend photocopied the article and gave it to me last week. Apparently, she thought of me right away when she saw it. Ok, for those of you on Facebook, you probably know I am on it a lot... but am I really THAT bad?! Honestly, I thought it was sort of hilarious. I mean, what can I say? It really is a generational phenomenon, but has a lot to do with where I am living and where my friends live.
Let's face it... I like to talk. And this is a good communication tool. It also doesn't hurt that it is in English, for goodness sake (compared to the various communication resources written in kanji here - I'm illiterate!) . When I went to folk school in Norway (after high school, at 18), I did not have access to internet and lost touch with (or grew apart from) a lot of people from high school. The widespread popularity of the internet and services like Facebook make it possible for me to avoid that happening again. With the internet age upon us, this just does not need to happen.
Anyways, I thought this was sort of a random, but funny story from this week. For all of you in Japan, it's like an evolved form of Mixi. ...check it out ;)

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home