Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

We * Red Hot Chilli Peppers

The Concert
Thirty minutes to four. I had carefully been watching the clock all afternoon with anticipation and excitement. It was finally time to change out of my blazer and get ready for the Red Hot Chilli Peppers concert. It was a normal, casual day at school, interrupted only by the flurry of emails between the foreigners organizing events for the next day's English camp. I was distracted; my mind was in Osaka, or rather, on the Red Hot Chilli Peppers tickets sitting in my purse. As the minute hand inched past four, I packed my purse up and collected my things, slipping out the door with my usual "Osaki ni shitsurei shimasu!" I met Kelly in Akashi and we elbowed our way past a gnarling teenager with her bright pink stillettos and hair extensions to the open set of seats. We laughed out loud in excitement over the RHCP Wiki article I had printed out, while each of us practiced song lyrics with half a set of headphones in one ear. When we arrived at Umeda station in Osaka, we battled the wave of bodies, switching to the loop line. Soon, we arrived in Taisho. We were there! After a quick pit stop at the 'konbini' for some beverages and food, we following the huge crowds flowing down the wide road and culminating at the large, metallic dome, somehow making our way to the arena floor. Twenty-sixth row. I looked around and was surprised by how empty the arena looked. I expected hordes of people, and especially other foreigners at the event, but quickly snapped back to reality and accepted Kel and I still stood out in a sea of Japanese fans... A reminder that while it might be an American band, we were still in Osaka, Japan.
We * RHCP
Twenty minutes past the set time and nothing had happened. There were a few false alarms, with a commotion on the floor centering the stadium's focus on a certain person or area, fans hoping to catch an early glipmse of the band. False alarms, only. And where was the warm up band, anyways? Just as we were getting restless, ready to get up and dance... the drums started and the massive crowds (appearing to quadruple almost instantaneously and magically) roared. We quickly realized this was not a warm up band... it was the Red Hot Chilli Peppers! The concert had started...again, we screamed, 'OMG - it's the RHCP!' We were so close, we could see their tattoos.
Sticking with tradition, the concert kicked off with an impromptu guitar jam between the bass and lead guitarist, done in the same key as the first song. Anthony, the lead singer, appeared on stage, jumping around in what looked like a cross between a black sweatshirt with patches and a cape. As the songs kicked into high gear, he lost the cape to reveal a Wyatt Earp mustache and bowl cut. Not the norm, but in step with keeping things new and different, THIS is what has kept the RHCP together for almost 20 years - originality, passion and awesome music. Through one hit after the next (no 'new album plugs' at this show), Kelly and I energetically jumped around, singing along and laughing. People were on their feet, dancing around as the energy pulsated throughought the stadium for the duration of the show, which seemed - if it weren't for the dominating presence of Japanese fans - could have been the Target Center back in Minneapolis. Kelly and I belted out lyrics and loud cheers from start to finish, seeming to be the loudest in the arena. Towards the end, the band did one ABBA cover (S.O.S.) and some Ramones ("Osaka-Osaka-Bobaka-Banana-Fana-Fofaka-Me-My-Mofaka-OOOOOSAAAAAKA") as the crowd went crazy again (for Japan, at least... my ears didn't ring after, but it's probably a good thing). It was a good show; we were on a high.
The Onsen Cannonball
The rest of the night, however, was more low-key. Kelly and I made our way to the closest subway station and met our friend Daisuke for dinner in Shinsaibashi, retiring to the capsule hotel/onsen for the night a bit early.
Rainy Days
The next morning was rainy and dreary as we departed from the capsule. Kelly and I had toast and salad (typical bfast food here) with coffee for breakfast at a charming, eco-friendly cafe on Midosuji Dori (in Osaka) before heading back home to get our overnight bags for English camp. Leaving Osaka, the fresh sidewalk puddles were not welcomed, but in hindsight, the rain was more of a blessing than a nuisance. The warm onsen soak left us refreshed and relaxed (vs. tired & worn-out from a busy agenda the previous night)... and we were ready to window-shop. If it weren't for the lousy weather, it would have been tempting to spend the day in Osaka (and risk being late for camp). As we reached Akashi and stepped off the rapid train to switch to the local line, the warm, sunny rays teasingly greeted us onto the platform, almost as if Mother Nature herself was assuring us it was the right decision (giving us the motivation to get going on schedule).
... Fin!
So, in brief, the concert was amazing (all hits, awesome seats & a good performance), and the capsule option additionally provided a reasonably-priced, good night's rest, especially compared to my previous experiences in Shinsaibashi. That being said, I think I have seen the last of my Osaka all-nighters. I'm just going to book at the same place next time... beats sitting on the train in smoke-stained clothes, suspciously sketching our fellow passengers a story of the previous night. Daisuke was a little shocked that we were staying in a capsule, not a hotel (I think they might have a lower-class or businessman stigma??), but it's still exotic to me and I kind of like them, anyways.

ps - I have some video and pictures from the concert, but I am not sure if it's a good idea to post them here. They are actually pretty good shots, but I was scolded by the guard for trying to take a picture in the hallway toward the end of the concert. Not realizing it was probably not allowed, I had already been (almost constantly) filming and taking pictures for the previous few hours.
My favorite clip is the Minnesota shout-out in "By The Way" and I'd love to show you proof of Anthony's 'stash... let me know if you think it's ok and I'll throw them up (otherwise, I'm willing to send via email).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home