Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, March 23, 2007

The HR Dreamboat

We just came back from a meeting where next year’s job assignments were officially announced. There has been a lot of speculation leading up to today, but today’s news is both exciting and sad at the same time.
In Japan, students have one “homeroom” (of about 40 students) and teachers move to them, so that they are always with the same students in each class. The students’ ability-levels are already segregated by school (they take tests to get into a certain high school) so everyone in the same homeroom takes the same level classes. Because of this system, all first/second/third-year teachers work closely together, even sitting together in one section in the staff room (all the teachers sit in one room, which I think closely resembles a police precinct). When the first-year students graduate to second grade (the year begins in April), their homeroom teachers move with them, so they have the same teachers all three years. What this means for the staff is that we will all be moving desks.
I work closely with the first-year teachers and love where I sit now, so it is strange to me to know that the situation I have become so acquainted and comfortable with will also be changing very soon. Two teachers are retiring, and it was also just announced that six will transfer. In our prefecture, it is mandatory for teachers to transfer schools every few years so that schools will get different ideas and mixes every year. Most often, it is the younger staff that moves around a lot (and they can be moved far away, making them even relocate their apartments on several weeks notice), but there is even a ten-year cap on working at one school, so veterans can also be moved along.
Moving to Japan was definitely a huge transition in itself, but I finally feel settled, and I just learned that two teachers I sit by (and know better) will have to move schools. The principal and office manager are also leaving.
The mood is quiet; I don’t know if it’s a good thing or a bad thing. One coworker looked like she was going to cry about our good friend leaving. I have gotten the “frenemy” vibe from this individual for a while, but I am sad for the loss. Apparently it showed because I gave the other teacher a sort of a frown and she gave me a ‘I know!’ sort of look back. I know we will be getting new teachers in a few weeks, which will be a celebration, but this is all new and strange to me still.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home