Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Monday, December 11, 2006

Thursday - Finals Week

On Thursday, I actually spent most of the morning studying Japanese, something I am trying to get into the habit of doing. Don’t get me wrong, I am still horrible, but the puzzle is slowly starting to materialize as I put the pieces together. Something clicked about 3 weeks ago, and I am finally able to communicate a bit more. I have heard you normally hit that stage between 3 and 6 months in, so I am on track but really need to be a little more diligent about hitting the books on my own.
One of my coworkers (who lives very close) invited me to come to her house for lunch after school. I learned the last time I had lunch with teachers, that ‘lunch’ with friends or coworkers (especially at their house) is usually an all-day or afternoon event. It is not a bad thing, but I don’t think it is very American (at least in the midwest) to spend 7 hours at someone’s house if you are coming over for lunch. Maybe we could learn to slow down and enjoy the time more in my culture, though.
Another thing that I find really cute and have learned to expect is that my host is very careful to warn me about the size of Japanese houses before I arrive. Coming to Japan, I expected my lodging to be nothing more than a shoebox. My place is not big, but it was better than expected, and I have found myself surprised at just how spacious most homes are. They are sometimes deceiving from the outside, but the wooden interior and traditional atmosphere is so charming and there is more than enough space. This house was no exception, and the washitsu (traditional Japanese) room (with a hole in the floor to put our feet in under the heated table!) was elegant and comfortable. I think they just anticipate disappointment if it is not 'American Size' (to quote Tone); although it is practically an average size for America, too.
The woman I was visiting, Miyake Sensei, is very kind and one of my favorite teachers. Her 27-year-old daughter, a piano teacher, joined us until her first lessons started. It was the second time I have had temakizushi (basically, make-your-own sushi), and lunch was absolutely wonderful. I actuallyed learned the proper ettiquete for serving this type of sushi, so I want to try it on my own (if I can lure some guests over to my little box for dinner) and Miyake Sensei let me sample some of her homemade yogurt and a cake that someone had given her as a gift. After a few hours of chatting, Miyake suprised me by bringing out her yukata and kimono to show me all the different pieces. Several weeks ago, we had a 45 minute conversation after class one day where she was telling me about her daughter's kimono (for the upcoming deubant ceremony, of sorts) and we ended up discussing the art of kimono for most of the time. I learned that only unmarried woman wear the long sleeves, for example, and it was fun to learn more about some subtleties of this form of art (which seem even more drastic and regimented than those surrounding the Norwegian bunader).

All in all, it was a fabulous afternoon and really fun girl time. I am not sure if it is because I think Miyake reminds me of my mother in some ways (maybe her reactions, movements or speech?) but I feel really comfortable around her. She is such a kind person, a good friend and definately someone I can learn a lot from, not just because of the cultural differences or because she is Japanese, but deeper life lessons as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home