Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Friday - Finals Week... and the weekend!

Nothing too big happening on the weekend. Spent Friday night celebrating a friend's birthday at a Turkish/Greek restaraunt in Kobe. It was the opening day for Kobe Luminarie (more on that soon), so the city was packed, but the restaraunt was a cute little joint, quietly tucked into a back alley. They offer periodic belly dancing sessions, and the interior ris reminescent of one of the small, family-run establishments you would find on Nicollet Ave (Eat Street) or Dinkytown back home in Minneapolis. As we were leaving, the Greek-born owner gave me his card and asked me to come back. I would say this was normal, except he only gave it to me. I just find this funny because, even though I hadn't spoken to him much, I think he could tell there was something Greek about me. I got the same reaction in Greece; people would stop me and say, 'there is something Greek about you." I guess it would be obvious if you saw my mother (black, curly hair), but my grandfather was born in Greece and, as for me, it's the eyes. My mother, brother, and cousins in Greece have the same ones. Random.

After the birthday party, my friends and I headed over to Akashi for another Christmas party, which has already moved to an Irish pub. Fun to see people I met when I first arrived but haven't seen in a while. Fun and relaxing week. So far, I would say finals are a little different from this side of the fence!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home