Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Wallet & False-Alarm Warning...

So I got called into the principal's office yesterday and I was really worried it was about the fight this weekend. He was really serious when he asked me to come in, so I asked a coworker to come with and translate, hoping it wasn't a serious conversation about my social life and not getting involved in certain situations (think my mom has already given me enough of that lecture...). Turns out it was just about the speech I am giving on Friday (to about 1,000 people in Japanese!!). Whew ;-) 

The principal basically wanted to check some details about what I've done at school and with my volunteer work for the non-profit and the prefecture for the introduction and farewell speech at our closing ceremony. The best part of the meeting was definitely when then moed onto discussing my going-away party (or how I might not have one because time is limited and people will be traveling on school trips or attending other work parties soon). The principal was really adament that I should get a "beer party" (yes, a beer party) outside of school, so we might have a big shindig at my colleague's house sometime next week. Can't wait!!

Just one class today, but I've been really busy.  I spent a few hours trying to call NTT (the phone company) this morning and was really annoyed when the line was busy about 15 times. I finally got through and arranged to turn off my phone, though... which means I am officially set for leaving Japan. Wow. Tatami, visa, gas, electricity, phone, internet, pension refund, address change at the post office -- it's all arranged.

It's a little weird that I won't have a "home" here in 2 weeks time and all these comforts will be officially cancelled before then... but I guess that's just part of moving on (and trust me, there's a lot of moving on and cancelling to do after 3 years).

We had a small surprise party for my neighbor's birthday last night and I spent all evening in my new jimbe, the gift from my coworker.  Fits perfectly and is really comfortable.  Just when I thought I was the luckiest gaijin around for that present, though, I got yet another surprise gift that brought me to tears in the afternoon today.  All of the female teachers pitched in and bought be a HIMEKAWA wallet. Himekawa (Hime for Himeji and Kawa for leather) is a really famous type of leather from this region.  The wallet is beautiful: white with flower and butterfly designs.  I'm almost afraid to use it and am so impressed.  I like my wallet now, but my other leather wallet was stolen last winter, so I was pretty happy to get a replacement for it -- and one that means so much.  Will have a lot of thank you letters to write over the next few days.

Right now I'm working on that speech for Friday.  It's not that long and I've already decided what I want to say, but I'll have to practice the Japanese translation tomorrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home