Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Quietdrive coming to Osaka. Oy!

Here's something kind of crazy... look who is coming to play in Osaka! That's right, it's QUIETDRIVE!

Some of you might actually know of this band, which gained some acclaim and attention for their cover of Cindy Lauper's "Time After Time". One of my Japanese high school students had it on her i-Pod this fall and I think the cover was used on the OC (or one of MTVs popular shows).

Anyways, I just thought I would point this out because this is sort of my hometown band. I went to high school with one of the guys (he graduated a year after me and we rode the same bus) and I used to see them play at the Lodge in Minneapolis every Wednesday with my best friend Kristin for about a year after college.... but that was also just before they changed their name to Quietdrive :)

Kristin also went to university with the lead singer (our age), who dated one of her friends and wrote a couple of the band's singles about the relationship, so we have also gone to see the band play around Minneapolis a few times. I think the last time was the spring before I came to Japan... although it was a funny experience with a sea of pre-teen girls fawning over the guys and what felt like a club for underage teens (blacklights and all).

Anyways, I'm proud of the hometown boys for making it this far (I mean, the other bands on that schedule are pretty A-list... from Coldplay and Jason Mraz to Death Cab for Cutie)... now I just wonder if I can get them to add me to the guestlist ;-p

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home