Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, January 25, 2008

Snow, Friday thoughts and another 10k

This has, without a doubt, been one of the craziest weeks of my life. It has also been one of the coldest at work... I am literally wearing tights and three pairs of socks under my pants today. Sexy, I know. With all of the excitement, decisions, drama, change, anticipation (yeah, I am sure you are pining for details, but I'll have to wait to share) that I have encountered this week, I have had trouble sleeping or have been on the phone to America a lot (and often late into the night). It hit me a little hard to read about Heath Ledger's death because his main ailment was similar to mine this week (well, lack of sleep) and he was around my age.

Anyways, with all that being said, things aren't going too badly today. I can feel the sun getting a little stronger as the winter drags on, still enjoy watching it rise from my bed in the mornings and there have been several small snowfalls in the past week, which always brightens the twinkle in my eye. I guess I have a "sense of snow" and will always have an afinity for it; you can take the girl out of Minnesota but there are parts of Minnesota you can never take out of the girl. Not complaining about missing the -22 degrees (C) weather (-6 F) this week, but the white winters are nice... did you know Minnesota is actually as cold as Antartica, though?

Our friend Hong comes in from Gifu Prefecture (north of Tokyo) tomorrow and JJ, the other American we met in Taiwan, is coming on Sunday. This weekend is Kelly's birthday and Sunday morning is the 10k. I am not going to be super competitive with this one, but am looking forward to running it with my friends Tam and Lena. Keep those fingers crossed for us;-)

Anyways, I just read this quote somewhere and thought I would leave you with some food for thought. It's an important reminder of how we should remember to be grateful for the people and things we have in our lives... everyday. Even when things are rough, friends really do add richness and we're still pretty lucky:

The word for poverty in the Andean native language (Quechua) means "that who is alone or lacking social relations."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home