Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, January 18, 2008

Internet Cafe

Hello, hello.

I am sitting at an internet/manga cafe in central Kobe right now. I wouldn't have noticed what it was if it weren't for the large pictures of computers out front, but my friend had actually been here before and brought me and several of our girlfriends here to get a few hours of shut-eye (or internet time) after the seminar ended today (and before we head out for more fun later tonight). I will say one thing, we needed the rest time... last night was a lot of fun, but I am still totally beat!

Don't Read Manga, but Love the Manga/Internetto Cafes Like Crazy!

It's hard to believe it's my first time ever at manga cafe...this place rocks. You basically walk into the establishment (which looks like a restaraunt or business hotel) and pay at the front desk. Then they will either bring or direct you down a labrynth of halls to rooms where you can choose the comfort and type of chair/computer you want, order food, pay for a place to sleep or read the hundreds and hundreds of manga (Japanese cartoons) they have on hand. The price of being here is all based on time (about ¥180 for 30 minutes) and they are open 24 horus a day. These establishments would have been such a lifeline on those all-nighters last year... I feel foolish for getting in the game so late... but better than never.

But onto last night... and turning 26. Wow.

I had originally decided to do a small girl's night at the spa (this sort of expensive one in Sannomiya that puts rose petals in the hot springs and gives great massages) to celebrate my big debut into my late 20s, but when two male friends asked about the birthday plans, I decided to do a dinner instead. I invited the girls, of course, but five people turned into more when I hit Facebook and my cell phone email... and we ended up with about 30! I chose a little italian place I know of that looks like a stone cellar and has a great wine deal (I mean $7 for 90 minutes all-you-can-drink WINE... pour your own from the bar!). I didn't want to do a 'set course' (is that even real English? I honestly don't know anymore...basically 'party menu') since they can be really expensive and not everyone has the same food prefereces but rather wanted everyone to be able to order what they wanted. To my delight, the restaraunt obliged. We ordered some pizza and salad in advance, hoping there wouldn't be such a rush, but I should have known better with so many people and so much wine. We ended up not really getting dinner (ate McDonalds on the way home...), which was a wacky combination with so many people, but I will say it was a fun night. And as has sort of always been the case with me, I tend to lime with a lot of different groups (or people in different areas of Japan), but bringing all those friends together last night also really made me realize how lucky I have been over the last year and a half and how many amazing people I have met. They really have been my Japan in many ways.

Bigger Topics

And on the topic of my Japan... I haven't written or spoken about it publically before now because I wanted to weigh all of the options and make the right decision for me, but there is a strong possibility I will stay a third year. Yeah, I know...suprising, right?

I would have thought it impossible a year ago and I did apply to law schools this fall (waiting to hear back... deferring is a maybe), but there are a lot of pulls on both the pro and con sides. My biggest worries with staying revolve around my current job (I love what I do now, but am getting really ready to get back to school and am excited to start my career... worried I will get too ready... and about being older when I start that career), what I have seen "too much time in Japan" do to other women (it can be challenging to stay in a male-dominating society; some really strong women have gotten bitter... although I know some that are very happy), the fact that many of my close friends will be returning to their home countries soon so the life I know now will dramatically change.

I am not posting these thoughts as rumblings or to moan and groan, but because I think they're very realistic concerns a lot of people have when in my shoes and it's good to be realistic about them and it's part of what this experience is really all about. On the opposite side of the debate, I will say that if I stay, I'll still be coming home to perform my Maid of Honor duties at my best friend's wedding in Minneapolis this summer, will be visiting Oslo for a few days and have plans on the table to take the Trans-Siberian Railway back to Japan (probably through Mongolia) with a good girlfriend from Norway. Doing a volunteer trip to Tanzania (and fulfilling a childhood dream of visiting the Queen Victoria Falls, the world's largest waterfall in Zambia/Zimbabwe) in the spring, finally doing the Tokyo Marathon (applying EARLY this year to secure that... although next marathon is in March!) and experiencing Hatsumode (traditional Japanese New Year with drinking at temples and shrines all night) are also possibilities, in addition to the fact that I can still save more money here. These are all amazing experiences, yes, but it's all about opportunity costs. Anyways, that's just an update, but I will let you all know in the next few months what I decide (and where I am moving to/going to to school/deferring to if I am on my way out).

Charity Event TONIGHT

Anyways, as I mentioned earlier, I've been in Kobe for a big conference, which I actually got a lot out of (was strangely good timing for the theme and very applicable to what I do). The Charity Committee that I am chairing is hosting a funraising event for the Pepy Ride Program tonight (it's an All You Can Drink special at two bars and a club from 8pm-5am for about $30). I don't know if or how much I will drink and I feel a little funny hosting an event that may or may not seem to promote drinking, but at least we will probably get a good turnout and $5/pp is going directly to charity. Wish me luck!

Alright, I have to get a few things done and this is a long post (the other girls are definately dreaming away by now...) so I should go. I think I'm heading to a Celebrate the New Year party in Osaka tomorrow night (if I'm not too tired) and doing another long Marathon-Training-Session with Lena, the friend I am running the next marathon with, on Sunday, so I'll be back in a few days. Thank you to everyone who sent me all the beautiful birthday wishes - again - and I hope you are genki (well). Matta ne!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home