Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Cultural Diversity in America & German in Sanno

Do you ever have one of those days when you just know you shouldn’t go out, but you do anyways, just to realize you were right in the first place? Yesterday was kind of one of those days.
Cultural Diversity Lecture
The morning was fine enough. I gave a presentation on Cultural Diversity in America (same lecture series I did for the senior International Understanding course last year), which was sort of the highlight of my day (gave 3 tests, as well). What’s even better is that Mori Sensei sat in and now I am also going to give the same presentation to the second-year International Studies course sometime soon. I’m really excited about it because the topic is really interesting to me and I think it’s good for my students to understand some of the traits that make our culture and society different from theirs. To illustrate one example or aspect of these cultural differences, yesterday I wanted to translate ‘ethnic groups’ on a worksheet, but when I asked for help, my coworkers had trouble finding the right word. Or they said there just isn't an exact translation for 'ethnic groups' in Japanese. To some extent, this demonstrates a (somewhat alarming) lack of understanding for diversity on the parts of some people (or as part of the culture) in this country. It makes more sense when you consider that 95% of Japan’s population is Japanese, but for all the exposure to outside influences, I'm amazed by how well they adapt things to their culture rather than changing the Japanese culture to work with others.
Naturally, these sorts of blanket statements do not apply to everyone in Japan, but it feels like that to a lot of people I have encountered, you are either Japanese (and that means 100% Japanese), or you are not. I, for example, fall into the big ‘other’ category, gaikokujin (foreign country persons).
Anyways, I tried to post the Diversity powerpoint here, but it didn’t work... I wish I could because some of the data is really fascinating. For example, I grew up in the Midwestern United States, where there is a definite northern-European/Scandinavian influence (and a lot of Caucasians), but I don’t think I really realized before now that a whopping 75% of the American population is still Caucasian. It just seems too high. Looking at the demographics on a map and comparing education levels (by ethnic group and to a national average), the numbers really start to tell a story about where some of the societal problems we have today come from.
I also talked to the students about recent award-winning movies like Crash and Babel, touched on the political issues related to race in America (like border control and discrimination), and the focus on these differences (stereotypes and racial profiling). And to my pleasant surprise: the students cared.
Later on...
Anyways, to get back on track and add some clarity to my original statements about the day, it was just a long one. I am starting to get sick, and have been moving a bit slow because of the weather. Then I encountered my first truly rude student on the train on the way home. I couldn’t believe how she spoke to me. I kind of liked the fact that this 15 –year-old was not the average shy or passive girl (she was “the nail that sticks up”…and normally “gets hammered down” – not indirect at all, which is considered polite), but she was acting like she had a vendetta against me or something. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m her teacher or what, but it’ll be interesting when I have her in class next. Anyways, that experience put me in a sour mood, so I went running. I met some people in Sannomiya for dinner, but I was pretty out-of-it, was late (even though the run was worth it) and wasn’t really paying attention to the conversation because I was just dropping off (tired, woozy and preoccupied by the previous situation). Probably not the best company. Then one guy I had just met told me I am just like his 15-year-old sister, which is good in some ways (being a sibling could be a compliment), but not considering that it could imply I act like a 15-year-old... With all the time I have invested in education, travels and experiences since I was 15, I really hope that I have matured past that state. It just struck a chord (bad timing) because I was upset about what the girl said to me and I didn’t really know many of the people I was with well, so I walked out feeling sort of ditzy. It was otherwise good company and food (German), I guess, but it was definitely just a night where I should have gone to bed early rather than go out.
Finals are coming
Today I am kind of wondering if I have strep or something. Finals start next week (first trimester classes are over) and the pre-test period is characteristically really busy and stressful (for both the teachers and students at my school), so it’s apparently really normal that a lot of people get sick. I have to finish writing two listening tests (to record tomorrow), but I think I’m going to skip the staff meeting and head home after school. I have to bring notebooks with, but I need the rest.

Other big news: This is not the sunniest blog entry I have ever written, but I do have some really good news. I am going home this summer! I bought my tickets earlier this week, and will be home for two weeks at the end of August. I know time will fly by, but I am really looking forward to seeing my family and friends, and just be in Minnesota for a little while. I am stopping in Honolulu on the way, as well, which shouldn’t be too bad:) I have not been very homesick, so a lot of people have asked me why I’d spend so much money to go home (and not just wait until I move back in a year), but to be honest, I don’t know that I will be living in Minnesota again soon. I love and miss my family and friends a lot, and if I want to see them (and only once a year), it is going to take some effort now. YAY! Can’t wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home