Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Monday, June 18, 2007

Bunaksai Prep

Today, Thursday, was our prep day for the big Cultural Festival. I met with the 3rd-years in the morning to practice for the speaking component of the Step Test (English proficiency test) and worked with a reading class, but it was otherwise a relatively slow day for classes. In the afternoon, however, the school was released to make final preparations for Friday’s Cultural Festival. This year’s theme was ‘Let’s Work in Collaboration’. It’s a good theme, but I wish they would consult me about names for this stuff before printing it everywhere and making posters....
Anyways, I really think our English club is ready for the big day tomorrow. We decided to use the giant board we bought as a backdrop for the prom pictures (so you can’t see the blackboard) and made a really awesome DJ booth with one of the cardboard refrigerator boxes. I’m going to take pictures with my digital camera and we’ll post them on the school website, so the students can download them from there if they want a copy. I’m excited! Actually, one of my coworkers commented on how I was probably the most excited person at our school . I'm not really sure whether it was meant as a good thing or not. My response was that she should be happy that I am so enthralled about new cultural experiences and so interested in our school's welfare and Japanese culture. It's a far better thing to be involved and looking forward to the event, than to be apathetic to the whole thing. And I guess I am also just really proud of my ESS girls and all the hard work we have been putting into this day. I really believe it’s going to be a good time!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home