Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

SNL Palin Skits

I love Tina Fey. She's hilarous, balanced and I think she seems like she'd be pretty cool in real life. She was a great writer for SNL, I love Mean Girls (surprisingly witty and an excellent parody of American high school culture) and I haven't watched a lot of 30 Rock, but I've liked what I've seen.

The current Palin skits on Saturday Night Live, however, have to be some of the best work Fey has ever done.

I am sure most of you have already seen these skits, but I promised a coworker I would post the most recent one so she could see it. Here is a clip from the 6 minute sketch:



Now here is an excerpt from the actual interview that the Saturday Night Live skit was mocking:



And just for your benefit, here's a little transcript of that last response... in case you didn't catch it:

PALIN: That's why I say I, like every American I'm speaking with, were ill about this position that we have been put in where it is the taxpayers looking to bail out. But ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health-care reform that is needed to help shore up our economy, helping the—it's got to be all about job creation, too, shoring up our economy and putting it back on the right track. So health-care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions and tax relief for Americans. And trade, we've got to see trade as opportunity, not as a competitive, scary thing. But one in five jobs being created in the trade sector today, we've got to look at that as more opportunity. All those things under the umbrella of job creation. This bailout is a part of that.

Random fact, but I read somewhere that this was the first time in SNL's history that they have quoted (or used real dialogue) from an actual interview that they are mimicking. Hmm... art mocking life or life mocking art... but it's pretty entertaining.